Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I don’t know about everyone else but I am super excited about the long weekend and all the delicious foods Thanksgiving brings. Mashed potatoes are a traditional Thanksgiving side dish that is sure to be on your menu. Here is a healthy alternative that I thought I would share.
Cauliflower Mash – Your healthy alternative to mashed potatoes
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets (about 6 to 7 cups) or one bag of frozen cauliflower
- 1/3 cup 1% buttermilk or low fat sour cream
- 4 cloves crushed garlic (= 2 teaspoons minced garlic) I used minced garlic because it is super easy and I always have some on hand at home.
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp light butter (I love Brummel and brown yogurt based butter)
- grated parmesan cheese (optional to garnish with)
- fresh or dry chives (optional to garnish with)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. OR microwave in a large bowl with 2 tablespoons of water covered for 5-10 minutes (depending on microwave) until slightly translucent and pierces easily with fork. Drain well!!
2. Mash cauliflower with a potato masher (my favorite part), food processor or hand blender. I don’t have a food processor so I just use a potato masher, You can even use a fork if you don’t have a potato masher.
3. Add buttermilk or sour cream, light butter, garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste. Hand mix or mix with food processor or hand blender and serve. Garnish with chives and freshly grated parmesan cheese if you choose. (Extra calories in cheese not accounted for)
Nutritional information: Less than 1/3 the calories of traditional mashed potatoes 🙂
60 calories per 3/4 cup serving of cauliflower mash vs
190 calories per 3/4 cup serving of traditional mashed potatoes
Hope you all enjoy this healthy alternative and a great way to get an extra serving of vegetables in.