Happy Friday! I don’t know about you guys but I am ready for the weekend! I wanted to share with you something I made last weekend for my honey.
These little mini pies are one of my husbands favorite desserts. His birthday was approaching and I was trying to think of something sweet I could make for him. He is not a fan of traditional cakes or cupcakes so I thought I would try to make some of these little pies for my honey.
I am not Martha Stewart by any means so I went to google and typed in these words exactly: “easy fried pie recipe.”
I realized quickly that there are 2 ways I can go about this 1) make dough and filling from scratch or 2) use canned buttermilk biscuits as dough and canned pie filling for the mini pie filling
I decided since I had a busy weekend in Nashville and not a ton of extra time to bake, that I would use the refrigerated biscuits for the dough and that I would make some of mine with nutella as the filling (since one of the other things my hubbby hearts is nutella) and some with apple pie filling.
Here is the recipe I chose (from pilsbury’s website)
Fried Apple Pies (and fried Nutella pies 😉 Really you can use any filling you want so go crazy!
1 can pillsbury grands refrigerated extra rich buttermilk biscuits
nutella, 1 can cinnamon spice apple pie filling or filling of your choice
4 teaspoons butter melted
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
parchment paper or nonstick cooking spray
1. Heat oven to 375 F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with non stick cooking spray
2. In a small bowl mix cinnamon and sugar together and set aside
3. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press or roll each biscuit round on one cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place heaping spoonfull of filling (Nutella or apple pie filling) on one side of biscuit round keeping away from the edge and then fold the biscuit over the filling. You should dip your finger in water and wipe around the biscuit edge prior to folding over to help it stick together. Dip fork in flour and press continuously around the edge to seal. Prick the top of each with a fork.
4. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mix on Apple pie filled pies. The ones with Nutella in them I just brushed with butter.
3. Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes or until deep golden brown. Serve warm.
Also yummy with some vanilla ice cream on the side.
I think Mark really enjoyed these and and I think he appreciated the thought. I would definitely make these again. They were super yummy. My favorite was the Nutella ones!!!!!
Hope everyone has a great weekend!